Saturday, June 27, 2009

30 years young and facing reality.

Yesterday was my darling husbands 30th birthday! He is such a wonderful person and he does not like alot of attention being drawn to himself. Last weekend when his parents were in town we celebrated with some good friends. But last night he just wanted to watch a movie and eat pizza and cuddle. But before he got home I went to the store and bought a mini-birthday cake and lit some candles and scattered some 30 confetti all over our table. I just wanted to do something special but small. For his birthday my whole family pitched in and today we are going to go pick out a video camera. But I already promised my mother she will not have to sit through a replay of the birth! The camera is for after the birth when Kennedy is clean and out of my belly completely!!!!

On Thursday I received an email at work. It was letting everyone know in our division, the 12 most western states excluding Hawaii and California, that there will be layoffs this coming Tuesday. So on Tuesday morning they are asking everyone to stay home and if you have lost your job you will receive a phone call letting you know. I feel that my job is safe, mainly because I run programs and work directly with patients and volunteers. But you never know! So when I got this news of course I started to worry. I am about to have a baby and things would be a lot more complicated and stressful if I did not have a job. So I texted my mom and asked her how much extra room she had at her house because she might have 3 extra roommates really soon! I know its out of my hands and honestly if I lost my job it would be a blessing in disguise because it would mean that we could get closer to home a lot sooner. We have been talking about moving back within the next 18 months. We are not set on moving back to Oklahoma, we wouldn't mind Texas, Colorado, Missouri, or even Tennessee. But that is completely out of our hands. Its not that Vegas is a horrible place to live. We are so close to California and Utah and so many cool things you have to drive hours to access in Oklahoma. The weather is perfect, even now in June. We live ina beautiful home and we have made some really great friends. But there is NO sense of community here. There are small pockets but they are so spotty they are almost impossible to find. People come to Vegas to strike it rich or to play. People dont come to Vegas to raise families and meet lots of great people. And we both miss our families so much. I am so close to my mom and sisters and I want Kennedy to know her Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles. Its just not the place for us to raise a family. But I will say it has been the best thing for Aaron and I's marriage. We have grown and challenged and stretched more than we would have it we would have stayed where it was "comfortable" in Oklahoma.

I know this is a long post but this past week has been pretty busy. I am know 38 weeks pregnant and counting and I will have Aaron take some pictures today and I will post some of my belly. I am sure it seems like baby stuff is all I write about so it was nice to be able to focus on something else. Because there will be lots of baby stuff after she is born!

No comments: