Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Doing the Most Good

I was out doing some Christmas shopping/work errands today at lunch. I had to run into Wal-Mart really quickly to get a couple of gifts for some volunteers. As I entered the store two children sitting in their cart came out of the store singing Christmas carols at the top of their lungs. While other shoppers were either unfazed or annoyed I found this quite humorous. I remember the joy of being a child and not caring and or realizing the social norm for singing Christmas carols at the top of your lungs! Then on my way out I saw the holiday staple Salvation Army bell ringer. Above his little bucket was a sign that read "Doing the most good". Working for a non-profit my first instinct was to be defensive about that sign. I happen to know there are alot of other charities that do alot of good thing for people (insert pompous attitude tone). Of course this dialogue was occurring inside my head, as most of my sassy comments and conversations tend to do. But right behind me was a mom with a little girl, probably 5 or 6 years old. The mom stopped the little girl and asked her is she wanted to give money to help people that didn't have any money. And that when I realized that in fact that giving spirit, especially in these economic times, is "Doing the most good". As a parent I am beginning to understand the weight and responsibility of raising a moral, and kind child. So the very fact that is mother was using a "teachable moment" to help others gives me hope that the world is not doomed to be overrun by selfish, money hungry future generations. So tis' the season to be giving and generous. Drop your extra change in the little red bucket, because giving to others in need is indeed "Doing the most good".




On another note, here is a cute picture of my little lady!


No comments: